Making a Successful blog is hard work
DON’T MAKE THE SAME BLOG MISTAKES THAT I DID. Most blog sites will tell you all the right things that you need to do to make money blogging, but what they don’t tell you is all the things that might come up along the way and how to get out of them.
I am going to tell you about those blog mistakes.
I was desperately trying to find a way to make my own money as I’m not able to work anymore. I wont bore you with all my life stories as to why, but I was determined to make it on my own. I’m 46 years old and have been an office manager, accountant, bookkeeper pretty much my whole life. Unable to work any longer and a pension plan only goes so far (and it isn’t very far at all).
So I took to the computer to see what there is that I can make money on and do from home. First of all, it has been a few years since I have been on a computer and WOW have things upgraded. I have found myself taking refresher courses just to figure out how to add http and text files. I was lost.
OK so now I’m understanding a “LITTLE” bit more now. I decided to make a list of ways to make money online.
- Take surveys to make money
- Create a blog
- Sell crafts
- Fill out online polls
- Write a book
I will stop there, there are literally hundreds of ideas out there and only a few lucky and fortunate people will get rich from them. I am not a lucky person by any means.
So think Laurie think, what are you good at and what do you like to do? I like to cook and if I do say so myself , I am pretty darn good at it. So I decided to write a recipe book. I sat for hours and days and days gathering all my recipes and putting them into the computer, I contacted publishing companies and started to put it all together. I was thinking hey! I can actually do this.
Well let me tell you, I am now giving that recipe book away. You have to purchase proper programs to create recipe pages that don’t look like my 10 yr old nephew created them, those programs are not cheap. Then the publishing companies… oh boy (they are still calling me) and why am I not interested you say? Because they don’t pay you to write these books. You pay them and runs from just a small black and white book with no pictures for $1500.00 to a beautiful full color book ranging from $5,000 and up. Well if I had that kind of money I wouldn’t be trying to find ways to make money. So that was out.
I tried the online surveys and all that did was infuriate me. Click here and go there and finally when you get to end of the survey (after 45 min) then it’s; please subscribe to one of the three options below to complete the survey.
So now what?
I tried selling crafts was next, which actually did make me a few hundred dollars. But really how many bubblegum machines can I person have? Crafting for profit is great for a mani/pedi but isn’t going to pay the rent.
So I started researching on creating BLOGS. I have read everything from how to make 50 million dollars to how to make $10,000 a month. OK sounds like a great idea, then following up with more research got me “how to only work a few hours a week for thousands” in less than 3 months. OK well I don’t want to just read these stories, I want to meet these people, because what I have learned and am still learning is BLOGGING IS HARD WORK. I’m still pretty new to this blogging stuff and I will succeed in doing it, but it sure hasn’t happened over night for me. I’m literally sitting here typing this with a brace on my wrist from being on the computer so much. I sit for at least 10 hours a day right now trying to still create my blog and it will always be something you have to keep at, and update and change. Iam in contact with a lot of other bloggers now and thank goodness for helpful people, they have showed me some amazing tips.
So now what I will explain is some of the stuff I think you should do before committing to creating a blog to make money.
- Get a notebook and something to write with because trust me you will need it
- Now you can go ahead and read all these blogs saying ‘if you want to make money blogging then create a wordpress.org site and not wordpress.com”.
- They are correct BUT what I think you should do is create that wordpress.com site at first. It is free and there is no commitment if you do decide that blogging just isn’t for you, or that the idea you thought was going to be a GREAT SUCCESS and get rich quick in fact now bores you to death even typing about it. If your first time blog is a hit that’s AWESOME! Then you can switch it to a paid hosting site. Just do a lot of research about your ideas first.
- Now I will talk about your hosting site. Don’t just receive an email from someone one day saying this X hosting company is the best and you can get an amazing deal. We all have different opinions. I jumped the gun and created my blog right away and took the advice from an email I received and was very disappointed in my hosting site. It was after I lost money that I started researching all the companies. Go online, check out all the sites, what they have to offer and how much of a deal you can get (a little hint, if you go to click off some of these sites before entering your credit card, they will offer you an even bigger discount. Some hosting sites offer even up to 70% off the regular price. Even with that in mind still research every company, ESPECIALLY the customer service and tech support, if it is free or if you have to pay every-time you ask for help. It can get very expensive.
- So now you have a hosting site and hopefully a name picked out. GREAT! My big mistake was transferring my wordpress.com to wordpress.org without understanding what I was doing. They give you the option of a C PANEL account or WEBSITE builder. I chose website builder, WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE. You would think that meant it would build the website for you NOPE just the opposite, it was a nightmare you have to build it yourself. Well I sure didn’t know how to do that. So I contacted my hosting company and told them I made a mistake and wanted it switched. It was no problem for them to switch it (that is on their end) (easy peasy) HA! This is where you will need that pen and paper. I had a http://www.wordpress.com name and password, now a http://www.wordpress.org/ name and password, but I had a C panel name and password. Do you think I could remember which one went to which account? I’ll bet it was 2 weeks before I got actually up and running properly. Did I mention a pen and paper? Well also TYLENOL lol.
Blog – Always Remember
- Choose an email address that you will remember easy, because that is another name and password you will need.
- Setting up your site you will have many options for plug ins (I finally know what they mean YAY ME ), the more you have the slower your site will be, and please don’t buy any of them yet until you are well on your way to knowing how everything works. I have purchased so many that I did not need and have deleted them. I will say about those plug in companies is they do refund your money back to you and rather quickly. But hopefully now your reading this, you wont make those mistakes I did.
- You will want to link your social media sites as soon as possible and make sure you share everything you do. It helps get subscribers. I have created sites for facebook, twitter, pinterest, tumblr, linked in, instagram and flickr. Not sure what ½ of these are for but I have an account for them now haha.
- Start contacting other blog sites and ask questions, lots of questions. Everyone has been very helpful to me.
- I created a dedicated GMAIL account as well to my site, and back up your work.
The last thing I will tell you for now is to never stop thinking of
- Ways to get subscribers
- Ways to get affiliate marketing on your site.
If you have gotten this far! Don’t give up, because you are determined to be successful and with that mindset
YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!
for an even better and easier way to learn the proper way to create a blog, you need to join the Wealthy Affiliate