What do you do for your family when you just aren’t in the mood to be in the kitchen all day long? I make Home-style Crock-pot Chili. Sunday morning came around and I was all set to make a pork tenderloin dinner. I sat and contemplated getting up to the kitchen. I truly didn’t feel like cooking. I’m allowed right? You work, cook and clean all day everyday and the odd time you just don’t feel like doing anything. Well that is how my Sunday turned out this week.
We still have to eat, question is what? I ask the family ” what would you like for dinner?” and I always get the same answer ” I don’t know ” That statement makes me crazy! I Well If they don’t know and I don’t know, I guess we call for take out?
Not happening, no way. So I said “chili it is”. I go to the grocery store for some fresh ground meat. WOW! Prices for ground beef are insane now. I decided to get some lean ground beef but also some ground turkey and make it a healthier version.
Check out these prices
This was the cheapest one I could find. The rest was over $10.00
That’s how I decided to try a healthier version. Plus if you are following Weight Watchers at all. This chili is only 7 points per serving.
Home-style Crock-pot Chili
In skillet. add ground turkey, lean ground beef and cook on medium until almost cooked through. Drain all the fat out. Set aside. Add onions, and sauté until meat has browned and onions are soft.
Next add tomatoes, tomato sauce into the crock-pot.Then the red and green diced peppers.
Now for all the beans, (red,white and brown) spices, chocolate, and stir all together.
Add cooked meat & onion mixture.
Mix all together. Turn crock-pot on high for 4 hours or low for 6.
Check flavors every once in a while. You can add more spices to taste as you go.
It is better to start with a small amount and add to the chili, because you can’t remove it if you have too much.
Home-style Crock-pot Chili can be used the next day for delicious Nacho’s or Chili Dogs
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large green pepper (diced)
- 1 large sweet red pepper (diced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 8 cups tomato sauce
- 1 small can brown beans
- 1 cup canned sliced mushrooms
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can white kidney beans
- 3 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ounce bakers chocolate
- In skillet. add ground turkey, lean ground beef and cook on medium until almost cooked through. Drain all the fat out. Set aside
- Add onions, and saute until meat has browned and onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce into the crock-pot.
- Add red and green diced peppers.
- Add all the beans, (red,white and brown)
- Add spices, chocolate, and stir all together.
- Add cooked meat & onion mixture.
- Mix all together. Turn crock-pot on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Check flavors every once in awhile. You can add more spices to taste as you go. It is better to start with a small amount and add to the chili, because you can't remove it if you have too much