I’m going to tell you a little secret. I received a promotion to advertise for Fidget Spinners. Originally this article was going to be all about purchasing the toy and being able to join the “Fidget Spinner Craze”. Now I will still add a link or two as an option to purchase one, it is with a totally different reason. While researching for this toy I learned alot about why the actual toy way made and what it’s actual purpose is supposed to be. Fidget spinners were created for attention issues and for people who suffer from ADHD and Autism. These “toys” help keep the hands busy and help people that have ADHD focus more. There are more products out there as well such as Koosh Balls, Stress Balls, Klixx toys and Gidget Widgets just to name a few. Even some classrooms are allowing special needs children to have them in class to help with focus and concentration. I have learned a lot that I didn’t know about ADHD preparing for this article. So instead of an entire page promoting a new toy that is sweeping the nation I thought I would write to you and tell you what I have learned instead.
What is ADHD
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is a mental is a neurodevelopmental disorder. The symptoms usually appear before the age of 12 yrs old. You will usually notice some signs such as, not being able to pay attention, excessive activity or having difficulty in controlling their behaviour. Signs that it could be ADHD will show for 6 months or longer. These symptoms also may result in not being able to pay attention, having difficulty in school performance. It will cause problems in at least two or more settings such as; school, sports, or recreational activities.
The exact cause of ADHD is unknown, it mostly occurs in children and adolescents, and affects between 5-7% of children.In 2015 it was estimated to affect around 51.1 million people worldwide and is 3 x more often in boys than girls. On average 30 – 50 % of children diagnosed with ADHD carry it into adulthood.
How to manage ADHD
ADHD management is treated differently in certain countries but usually involves some form of counselling, medication, changing diet and lifestyle.
ADHD Inattentive (ADHD-PI or ADHD 1 ) symptoms can include:
- Being easily distracted
- Missing details
- Having trouble focusing on one task
- Becoming bored quick and easily
- Can become easily confused
- Daydreams a lot
- Have trouble processing information or struggle to follow orders
ADHD Predominantly Hyperactive – Impulsive
- Fidget and squirm a lot
- Talk non-stop
- Run around touching or playing with everything within eye sight
- Have troubles sitting still
- Difficulty doing quiet tasks and is impatient
- Blurts out inappropriate comments and often interrupts conversations
- Gets upset and annoyed having to wait for things like games and other activities
ADHD Combined Type (ADHD – C )
Which is all of the above
People with ADHD are more likely to have problems with handwriting, speech and language skills.
Around 2/3 of the time ADHD occurs with other disorders such as:
- Learning disabilities
- Tourette Sydrome
- Anti social personality disorder
- Mood disorders can include – bipolar, anxiety, depressive
- Substance Abuse
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Persistent bed wetting
- Sleep disorders
Most cases of ADHD are unknown. However; it is believed that it is inherited genetically by one’s parents. Genetic factors are also believed to be involved in determining whether ADHD will carry on into adulthood.
Foods To Avoid
While a proper diet cannot cure ADHD, certain foods can trigger it.
Dairy products such as Ice Cream, Yogurt, and Cheese can trigger ADHD if they are hypersensitive to dairy. It can make them feel tired mentally as well as physically.
Sugar strips the body of vitamins, enzymes and minerals that help stabilize your mood. We should all try to avoid sugars because it is extremely unhealthy, but extra specially unhealthy for people with ADHD.
Coffee / Chocolate / Hot Chocolate / Caffeine
These items all contain a large amount of caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant that will trigger ADHD symptoms.
High Mercury Foods
High mercury foods can cause fatigue, insomnia and behavioral changes. People with ADHD should try to avoid these foods altogether
- King Mackeral
- High fructose corn syrup
Soda Pop / Fruit Juice
These contain artificial coloring, sugar and caffeine. Try to avoid all together.
Frozen Pizza is loaded with artificial colors and flavorings. Eating this can increase hyper activity and decrease concentration. If you want pizza from home try making it instead. It is way healthier plus you know all the ingredients going into it.
YIELD: 1: 10-INCH PIZZA
PREP TIME: 20 MINTES
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 90 MINUTES
Meat Lover’s Pizza
Homemade thin crust pizza, topped off with two types of cheese, bacon, ham, pepperoni and hot sausage! A must make for meat lover’s.
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 C all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, if needed
- 1/3-1/2 C Pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 C mozzarella
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 3-4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 C ham, roughly chopped
- 1/2 C hot sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 C pepperoni slices
- Ground black pepper
- Prepare dough by combining warm water, heated to 115°F, with yeast and sugar. Stir to dissolve and allow to proof.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add flour and salt. With mixer running on low, slowly add yeast mixture. Increase speed, adding olive oil, if needed or desired. Mix until a ball forms, pulling away from the sides of the bowl. Transfer to a greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise in a warm location until doubled, roughly 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon and sausage. Chop bacon and ham. Crumble sausage.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Shape dough to desired size. Spoon pizza sauce over dough. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella. Add meat toppings. Finally sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella and ground black pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until desired crispness is reached. Serve warm.
BAKED BY RACHEL ORIGINAL
Yellow vegetables are known to cause a reaction in people with ADHD. Try to refrain from eating these:
- Yellow tomatoes
- Yellow beans
- Yellow potatoes
- Yellow peppers
- Yellow squash
All junk food should try to be avoided such as; chocolate, chips, candy. Most junk food has artificial flavors and coloring.
Fast food is one of the most important DO NOT EAT FOODS. It is extremely unhealthy for everyone but it known for causing an increase of symptoms in people with ADHD.
While not giving it up entirely, cutting back can help control ADHD.
Do you know someone that could have ADHD? If you have other information to add to this article please leave comments below.